Saturday, August 23, 2008

Dispatch #1

I have very mixed feelings about starting a blog. It seems like there's all sorts of etiquette to worry about, like who to link to, or what template to use. Not to mention security concerns -
will the entire internet have access to my life now? Plus, isn't posting the details of my life for everyone to see a little exhibitionist? All these concerns notwithstanding, it seems blogs are here to stay and it's time for me to accept that. And although I am in no way a sophisticated consumer of the medium, in the past several months, blogs have become an increasingly important procrastination tool for me. Thanks in part to Jeremy and Rakefet, and Tom. And also to Orangette, where I was referred by my friend Malina.

It was actually this last that sparked the idea of finally blogging myself. I am about to leave for three months in Sydney, Australia.
My family and friends (that's you, I hope) are all spread out, and I've been trying to figure out how to stay in touch. When I studied abroad in college, I used to spend hours in internet cafes, composing endless, poetic, heartfelt odes, usually with two results. Either I would send the email and then return daily, even hourly, eagerly anticipating a response, only to hear back "sounds great, I'm fine". Or the computer would freeze just before I could hit send, and then I'd wind up writing "I'm great, hope you're fine". So rather than repeat past trauma, I'm hoping to post my adventures and photos here. Check back regularly.

Hopefully, this will work as a way to stay in touch, although you are all going to join Skype as well if I have anything to say about it (I'm CeliaSF). I also plan to use this as a propaganda tool to convince you all to come visit. However, I can promise that this will not become an advertisement for how perfect and precious my life is. Because as much as I admire the food that Orangette cooks, and the beauty of her romance with her husband, reading about it this Tuesday night just made me mad. Besides, my life is just too messy.

I leave LA on Monday, August 25, 2008. I return on Sunday, January 4, 2009. All that happens in between will hopefully wind up here. Which means I need to go buy a camera. Any recommendations?

No comments: