Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Blue lights, cold wind

I tried going shopping after class yesterday. Kacy Qua (from Anderson), Anne Visholm (here at AGSM from Copenhagen) and I went to Paddington. This is the neighborhood that all the guidebooks recommend for shopping, but none of us found anything to buy. This is probably a good thing, given my financial situation, but still disappointing. After which Kacy and I found a nice loungey bar and drank far too much red wine. I highly recommend the Lillydale Estate Yarra Valley Pinot Noir from 2006, if you can get your hands on a bottle.

I've been struggling with a strange sense of, well, normalcy. I've come so far from home. And part of the reason for doing so was to shake things up. See new sights, meet new people, eat new food... So here I am and the craziest thing I've eaten is the potato wedges.
Which are exactly what they sound like, only they're battered with what we think of as curly fries seasoning, and served with cream cheese and sweet chili sauce. Which may be odd, but when you come down to it, any format of fried potato is pretty much awesome, and these are no exception. Anyway, I was walking home from the bus yesterday struggling with a very odd sort of displacement. Life here is at once far too familiar and yet foreign, sort of like wearing someone else's glasses that only partly match your prescription.

The walk down the hill from the bus stop last night was quite chilly, and the air was really clear. As I approached the beach at the bottom, I noticed someone had laid out a patch of twinkly blue lights in the sand. When I got really close I realized it said "marry me" in large letters - a message aimed at someone on one of the planes passing overhead on final approach into Sydney International. So I stood there in the cold, listening to Stevie Nicks tell me "thunder only happens when it's raining", watching the twinkly blue and the waves catching the orange of the sodium street lamps, and realized...

Nothing much actually. But just for a moment, my brain shut the hell up. I love it when that happens. So I guess the trip here was worth it afterall. Now, I'm off to pick up my things and FINALLY move into my apartment!

Gros bisous to you all.

No comments: