Monday, September 22, 2008

Important questions

The one question I was consistently asked, prior to my departure, was whether water really swirls down the drain in the opposite direction in Australia. Imagine my frustration at still not being able to answer that question. It turns out that the toilets flush differently here. It's more of a massive water flow, with no circular rotation whatsoever. And then there's the fact that you can either have a half flush or a whole flush. I can't figure it out...

And I have yet to have access to a tub that I can fill deep enough to get an accurate water tornado going (or whatever the technical term for that is). I did manage to get the stopper stuck in the sink for a good half hour as I was trying to investigate. I wound up having to pry it open with a knife. Can you believe what I do for science? Now, can someone tell me what direction we would consider normal? It turns out that's not something I know off the top of my head.

No comments: