Thursday, October 16, 2008

Wine 2 - Chardonnay

This week we tasted chardonnay. We were a little ambitious, and tasted 6 different wines. I woke up with quite the headache. Here is the selection:
1) Wirra Wirra Scrubby Rise McLaren Vale 2007 unwooded
2) Innocent Bystander 2007 (this wins the award for best label)
3) Clonale by Kooyong Mornington Peninsula 2007
4) Wither Hills Marlborough, New Zealand 2006
5) Fifth Leg Western Australia 2007
6) Frogmore Creek Tasmania 2006

Frogmore Creek is actually right next door to Meadowbank, which we visited in Tasmania. They apparently are the winemakers for a lot the vineyards in the area, but they also bottle their own wine. I don't know how much I like their wines though, since it was the sixth bottle we tasted, and by then my tastebuds were distinctly numb.

The winner was the Wirra Wirra. I don't think any of us like oaky chardonnays, which is interesting. There are an increasing number of unwooded ones coming on the market though, which is exciting to me.

No comments: